Allow me to introduce our new cooking columnist, Lynn Paine. Lynn loves baking, and even though she doesn’t do very much cooking, she is putting her experience in the kitchen into our cooking column here at clay. Born in Siloam Springs, Arkansas, Lynn now lives in Aydin, Turkey, as she has for the past eleven years. Lynn has moved around a lot—she has lived in America, Turkey, and the Netherlands. Due to the fact that she is surrounded by so many languages, she can speak English, Turkish, and Dutch, and to top it all off she’s Dutch-American! Her favorite home has been the current city she lives in, but she also really enjoys visiting her old hometown in Arkansas. Lynn and her family try to come over to America every two years. When asked where she would travel for vacation if she could go anywhere, her answer was New Zealand. She said she has heard it’s very beautiful.
Lynn took one year of kindergarten at a Turkish school, but otherwise she has always been homeschooled, which she enjoys. However, sometimes she does wonder what it would be like to go to a real brick and mortar school. This is her fourth year at TPS and her first year of high school. Although she isn’t taking it this year, her favorite subject is geography, and she aspires to have a job dealing with geography. Besides enjoying geography, she also likes taekwondo, which she is starting again soon, reading, drawing, and playing the piano and violin. She likes all kinds of music except rap, and her favorite genre of books is fantasy or fiction set in a medieval time. Her favorite book series is probably Ranger’s Apprentice or Lord of the Rings.
I asked Lynn multiple random questions so clay readers can get to know her better. Here are some of her answers:
- Favorite food: Most things with pasta and Turkish food.
- Favorite Bible character: Probably Daniel. She really admires how he trusted God. She thinks it helps that he has a whole book in the Bible about him.
- Favorite Bible verse: Psalm 121:8 “The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” (NIV)
- Pet peeve: When she answers someone’s question and they just keep asking “why?” to every answer she gives.
- Preferred superpower: Invisibility.
- If you were a food, what would you be? A peach. She has no explanation other than that she really enjoys them.
Although this is Lynn Paine’s first year participating in clay Mag and her first time writing a cooking column, look out because I have a feeling this fourteen year old will take us by storm! Please welcome her to the staff, and be sure to follow her column this year for some amazing and delicious articles!