Where can you witness dozens of some of the world’s best athletes, wealthy franchise owners, and sports newscasters all converging at once? The NFL draft, of course! On April 27th hundreds of fans, future stars, and hopefuls gather together at the AT&T stadium in Texas to catch a glimpse of what the next season of football will look like. Here is a brief analysis of the first 5 picks.
- Cleveland Browns -Baker Mayfield: Coming into this year’s draft, the Browns were targeting a QB. Although fans assumed this pick would be either Sam Darnold, from USC, or Josh Allen out of Wyoming, the Browns went with Baker Mayfield. Mayfield is one of the college’s best quarterbacks to ever play as he puts up beastly numbers and is extremely accurate and athletic. Although on the shorter side for a quarterback, being 6’1, Mayfield has a lot of potential.
- New York Giants-Saquon Barkley: Where to begin? Saquon Barkley is an athletic freak. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds. To put that into perspective, if Usain Bolt was to run a 40-yard dash, experts estimate his time would be around 4.64. It seems like wherever Barkley would have gone he would have been great, but paired up with Eli Manning and possibly Odell Becham Jr (if he isn’t traded), this team is looking extremely talented for the next few years.
- New York Jets-Sam Darnold: This draft class was filled with very talented quarterbacks, and Darnold seems like the perfect fit to the Jets system. The Jets needed a complete and ready starter, and Darnold is the right man for the job. He has the three A’s that make a brilliant QB: arm, accuracy, and athleticism, and the combination form an almost complete package.
- Cleveland Browns-Denzel Ward: With a 0-16 record this season it almost seems like the Browns deserve a few high picks in the draft. After all, they have had only 1 winning season where they had more wins than losses in the last 10 years. Instead of going for another offensive superstar, the Browns decided to go for someone who could hold it down on the defensive end. Denzel Ward also fits with his team very well. Hopefully, Ward can complement his defensive back teammate, Jamar Taylor, and the teams new nickelback, T.J. Carrie.
- Denver Broncos-Bradley Chubb. The Broncos decided to add to their defensive arsenal by adding an incredible defensive end. Pairing up Von Miller and Bradley Chubb together is almost unfair, and because of the pairing, the Broncos now have one of the best pass rush pairs in the NFL. Hopefully, with the addition of Chubb and a few other talents, the Broncos can return to their elite selves after only winning 5 games the previous season.
Only time will tell if these athletes will live up to the hype, but for now, it seems that the league just got a remarkable influx of talent. September can’t come soon enough!