This month, try your hand at baking these delicious, spring-worthy pink lemonade thumbprint cookies! I’ve made these for countless cookie swaps and events, and they always turn out amazing.
Note: In place of the glaze, you could also add jam. Right before you put the cookies in the oven, fill the cavities with the jam and bake as directed.
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups of confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
The zest of one lemon (or more!)
1 teaspoon salted butter
1 cup of crushed raspberries (optional)
Pink food dye
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream butter and sugar until smooth, at least 3 minutes.
- Beat in extracts and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder and salt with flour and add a small amount at a time to the wet ingredients. The dough will become very stiff. If it becomes too stiff for your mixer, turn out the dough onto a countertop surface. Wet your hands and finish kneading the dough by hand.
- DO NOT CHILL THE DOUGH. Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface, and cut. Roll cookies out in tablespoon sized balls and gently press down with your thumb. This should create a small shell for the filling
- Bake at 350° F for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling, combine the sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large Pyrex measuring cup (the 4 cup capacity ones are the best.) Add pink food dye if desired. Fold in raspberries.
- Once the cookies have cooled, fill the thumbprints with the filling and allow to set overnight.
Hopefully these cookies will make it into your lunchbox or spring picnic, and if they do, please let me know. I love reading all of the comments on my articles!
“How to Make a Lemon Icing Glaze.” The Kitchen Magpie, 7 Feb. 2018, www.thekitchenmagpie.com/how-
“Best Sugar Cookie Recipe EVER.” In Katrina’s Kitchen, 14 Dec. 2017, www.inkatrinaskitchen.com/